Sunday, July 30, 2017

Pioneer Day

Last Monday, we celebrated Pioneer Day in honor of our ancestors who crossed the United States to settle in Utah! It's fun to read about family members who endured such terrible conditions so they could continue their religious practices. Ryan is a direct descendant of Thomas Ricks and Tamar Loader Ricks, and I'm a direct descendant of Alexander Neibar!

There is a traditional temple-to-temple run in Provo that my mom was trying really hard to make me and my sister go to with her and I very reluctantly agreed for her to pick me up the next morning, way too early. But I had kind of hurt my ankle a couple nights before trying to pop it haha. So when I woke up with my ankle feeling really tender and hardly able to walk, I was pretty happy to have an excuse to get out of running. #notarunner but I was pretty sad that I had to cancel plans with friends to go hiking.

Luckily, after walking around the house a little for the morning, my ankle started to feel better and pretty soon it didn't bother me at all. Everyone probably thinks I was lying, but it really hurt! haha 

So we dressed us as pioneer-like as we could and set off to do something fun.



Provo put on a big celebration with lots of booths, games, pony rides, and other fun things. It was SO crazy packed, but we had fun seeing all there was to do.


The girls made whirly gigs, and then we sat and listened to an animal presentation. It was really fun watching the presenter pull out animals and talk about them.



We were lucky to even have done any games, with how many people there were. We didn't even attempt to go stand in line for the pony rides because the line was ridiculous. But the girls had fun roping bulls and tossing darts.





I didn't even realize there was a whole pioneer museum at this park, so it was cool to walk through. It was incredibly hot though, so we'll have to go back another time and spend more time reading and enjoying the set up. 



We left the park to eat some lunch at the Indian Palace. 

After some good, long naps, we went to my parents' house for their annual neighborhood pioneer day celebration. All the neighbors gather in the cul-de-sac and bring out chairs, and tables, and their grills, and lots and lots of food. The girls loved playing around and eating all the sweets within their reach.



Jane was SO cute in her little dress. This was one my grandma handed down.





There was a little face painting station and Norah was ecstatic about getting her face painted. But the line was going incredibly slow, so she stood there for a long time. I felt bad, but she didn't seem to mind, and perhaps it's just helping her to learn patience haha. 


After 40 minutes, she finally got to the front and immediately started telling the artist what colors she wanted. It was adorable. 



I love this picture so much. Face painting pictures are the best.



She loved it, especially the lipstick part. ;)


The kids all gathered round for a candy launch, and Jane didn't want to miss out on the action.








It was so fun chatting with everyone and eating yummy food. We had to take off to get ready for our trip to Spokane. As soon as we got in the car, Norah said, "Phew! That wasn't too bad." haha 

We are all looking forward to doing it all over again next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment