Monday, April 17, 2017

Easter Weekend

Easter is such a beautiful time of year for so many reasons, but I feel like it can become overwhelming because it's so commercialized. I, of course, still wanted to have the traditional new Easter dresses, an easter basket, and all those other fun activities, but I wanted it to be simple (and not spend much money), and most importantly, focus on our Savior.


A few months ago I was asked to second shoot for a wedding on Saturday, but I didn't realize at the time that it was the day before Easter, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to do it. So I was mopey the entire week leading up to the wedding because I just really wanted to stay home and spend the holiday weekend with Ryan and the girls. 

And since I hadn't planned any fun activities beforehand, we crammed everything in that morning before I had to go. First, dyeing eggs:


Good thing Ryan was there because I haven't dyed eggs in years and so I was just planning on dumping food coloring in plain old water, when I guess you have to make an actual solution. And good thing it was easy and we had everything on hand. 


The girls were pretty excited to do it, but they were also careful and only cracked one egg.


We had to keep telling them to sit down and wait until the eggs were done soaking. There was a lot of grabbing and rocking the table, threatening to knock over the glasses.




When they thought the fun was over, we decided to add some masking tape to the eggs to make some cool designs.




I had a lot of fun watching them and doing it with them and it's funny that we have never dyed eggs together until now. 


Here are our finished eggs. Norah requested I do the heart of Tafiti from Moana (top left) and she was so excited with how it turned out. 



Once Jane woke up from her morning nap I gathered the leftover easter eggs from the girls' preschool egg hunt and stuffed them with pretzels and whatever else I could find around the house haha. 




Ryan walked around with Jane until she got the hang of putting them in her basket. 



Despite us telling Norah to go slow so Lucy and Jane had a fair chance at the eggs too, she bounded around gathering as many as she could haha. Oh well, Lucy and Jane didn't seem to mind.




Lucy would pick up an egg and then try to open it to eat whatever was inside before going on, which meant Norah had time to get even more eggs. 


Norah shared her loot though, so it was all good in the end. And I didn't feel nervous about letting them eat them all since most of them had pretzels inside.



Once the egg hunt was over meant it was time for me to get ready to go for the rest of the day, and I was so sad. I didn't get home until really late that night, so Ryan let me sleep in the next morning.

He opened their baskets with them and took photos since I was still snoozing. I had ordered Easter books to put in the baskets as well, but I accidentally shipped them to my in-laws' house instead of ours. ugh. I was pretty disappointed when I realized, too late, my mistake.  I really wanted to get some little pictures of Christ and put together some small booklets for them as well, but that didn't happen either.


So the girls had a little treat bag shaped like a carrot, two left over easter eggs that I saved from their hunt (ha!), and a fruit pouch. They, obviously, didn't mind though. ;)





We spent the rest of the morning suffering from their sugar intake over the course of the week, no matter how small it had been. I tried putting a grumpy Lucy down for an early nap before church and she laid quietly for about a half an hour, but never fell asleep.

I wanted to make some dresses for the girls, but again, didn't plan far enough ahead and ran out of time before even starting, so I just picked out their best Sunday dresses and topped it off with their headbands they wore last year. And they looked darling. :)

Church was pretty chaotic. The sugar really started making it's way into their bloodstream and Ryan and I were basically sweating by the end of sacrament meeting from trying to maintain some shred of reverence. We both looked at each other and sighed the biggest sigh as we dropped off Norah and Lucy at Primary and Nursery. We decided right then and there that next year we would have zero candy in their baskets and they would be getting them after church. Halfway through Sunday School, Lucy's teacher brought her to us and said that she was just having an extra hard time that day and crying hysterically. So I took her back in and sat through snack time, trying to convince her that she would have fun, but to no avail. Ryan decided to just take Lucy and Jane home for late naps so we could have a better time at Easter dinner with my family.

Other than all that craziness, church was really good and I'm glad I made it to Relief Society.
Once Norah and I got home, we had to wake Lucy and Jane from their naps to get ready to head to my parents' house. I really wanted to snap a couple pictures of everyone in their Easter outfits, so we painstakingly got the younger girls back in their dresses and tried to cheer them up after such a rude awakening. 



I had to really work with Lucy to get her to stand still for a second for a picture.



Jane, however, was not happy one bit that we woke her, and wouldn't be happy for anything. She still looks pretty sweet though.



Even though it was a busy day with a lot of meltdowns and way too much sugar, I loved spending time with my sweet family and reflecting on the savior. I'm glad I took the time that morning to read about his resurrection and feel the peace he brings to my life. And even though everything didn't go according to plan, I am glad we taught the girls the meaning of Easter and that it has stuck with Norah even throughout all the other activities--that Jesus lives again. I'm so glad I get to be with them forever!


And I'm so grateful for my handsome Ryan and everything he does for us. What a lucky, lucky girl I am. I hope everyone else had a wonderful Easter!





No comments:

Post a Comment