Thursday, February 16, 2017

Valentine's Day 2017

I woke up Valentine's morning to Ryan cooking a darling breakfast of heart-shaped pancakes. I asked him how he did it since we didn't have any metal cookie cutters, and he said that he took our plastic heart cutter and used it to mold a new one out of aluminum foil, which he then used to place on the grill and form the pancake. haha! Pretty ingenious, and also...major dedication. He did this all even though he had stayed up late trying to soothe Jane back to sleep, and then woke up in the middle of the night to help Norah while she was throwing up bile. :(


The girls were especially happy that he put chocolate chips in the pancake batter. We finished eating, and Ryan headed downstairs to work (since his car was dead. boo!) while I helped the girls get dressed and finish up their valentine's cards.

We bought these a week or two prior to Valentine's Day, but I didn't pull them out to start working until the day before, which was a mistake. In the preschool email, we were encouraged to have the kids write their own names on the cards to help them practice. Norah was good about writing her name over the Summer, but it has been a long time since we've practiced, and she's gotten pretty rusty. So when we pulled out the cards for her to write on, it was taking way longer than I anticipated. She kept getting distracted or setting up stipulations for when she would be able to write the next letter, like "after we eat lunch, then I'll finish this one." 


So you can imagine the morning of, when we were trying to finish up 15 more cards and we were running out of time since each one was taking a good 3-5 minutes.

I tried to let her write on as many as possible, and then I took over. Though, honestly, who even reads who the cards are from? I don't know about you, but it's all about the candy at our house.


I wanted to help Lucy practice writing an "L" on her cards, but we didn't really get around to it, so she just scribbled on a couple of her cards next to Norah.


Her pigtails kill me every time.


We haphazardly taped the smarties on the cards and rushed out the door to get to preschool on time. 
All the decorated bags were ready to be filled so I gave Norah and Lucy their bags of cards to put in each bag. 


Norah went around and put a card in each one by herself, but Lucy was taking approximately one million years, even with me handing her each card and showing her which bag to put it in. We didn't even label the cards for individual kids, so it was supposed to be pretty straight forward. haha
I think she was just mostly concerned about getting a smartie herself, which I can understand. ;)


The girls came home with bagfuls of candy and high hopes of eating it all before nap time. Ha! 

We lazed about the rest of the day, and I finally got a shower, but was too lazy by that point to put on any makeup. We went out for Sushi, but after waiting quite a while for our order, we just boxed most of it up, headed home to put the girls to bed, and finished eating while we picked out a movie to snuggle up to. It was the perfect low-key valentine's day and I'm glad I got to spend it with the ones I love most. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment