Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Norah Update

A few thoughts about our Norah girl:

She is such a funny girl, but it seems that she sometimes tries to suppress her excitement for things. I remember when she was a baby she wouldn't really laugh, which made me bummed out/a little worried ('cause I mean, come on, I'm pretty hilarious;)). It was like she would hold the laugh inside of her and just kind of smile and grunt instead. She didn't really laugh out loud and hard consistently until she was about a year old.
Now, if she gets excited about something, she'll kind of tuck her tongue into the inside of her cheek and sort of hold back a smile. My sisters used to make fun of me when I was little for doing a similar thing whenever I told a lie. The tongue gave me away every time. 



Norah almost always wakes up from her nap before Lucy and Jane, and she'll walk up the stairs quietly to my room. She'll usually stand at the door for a few seconds until she catches my eye and then waits to see how I'll respond. If I smile and tell her to come see me, then she'll rush over, tongue in her cheek, and give me a hug. It's the sweetest thing.



She loves watching movies and asks almost every day. I try really hard to limit the movies, but sometimes I'll let her watch a short movie until her sisters wake up. She loves watching the Dr. Seuss books on my phone in my bed. 


Norah has an incredible memory. I'm sure I've said it before, but I am so amazed every time she remembers things from so long ago. She remembers people names, things we've done, and even streets we drive down. If I take a different route when driving places, she'll get confused and ask if we are still going the right way. 


Lately (for the past 6 months. ha!) I have been going to bed later than I should and so I'm always SO tired in the morning. Norah will come to my side of the bed and try to wake me up and ask me to go make her "breaf-dist" (one of the few words she still mispronounces and I love it too much to correct her yet). 
Sometimes, if I'm taking too long to get out of bed, she'll ask if she can make her own toast, which I usually say is okay. She also loves making her own meat and cheese sandwich. The other day, I had company over, and Norah kept asking when we could have lunch. The next thing I knew, she walked back in with her own meat and cheese sandwich haha.

She and Lucy both love helping me in the kitchen. I'll sometime give Norah a knife to help me slice up fruit or vegetables.


Norah is taking off with reading and has surprised me with how quickly she has learned to sound out her letters and blend them to make words. I can tell that she memorizes her reading books, but when she comes to something she doesn't remember, she can still sound it out and remember what she just read in the sentence. I'm trying not to push her too fast and we go at her own pace, but she is so excited to get to the more advanced books. 

I caught these two reading books quietly in Lucy's room one day. I love how much they love reading. We like to go to DI to pick out books and have found some great ones for under $1, though it does take quite a bit of sorting through so it doesn't happen too often. Norah gets so excited when we bring home new books and wants to read them all right then and there. 


Lately, every time Norah goes down the stairs, she'll plop down on her bum and slide, bumping the whole way down. She insists that it is faster than walking, and I enjoy watching her. 

We love to watch for Ryan coming home. I try to time it so they can watch for him without having to wait at the window too long. When Norah sees him pull up, she'll scream, run out to the kitchen and ask me if I'll open the door so she can meet him.


Norah likes to count everything these days, especially when we are reading a book. We just got 10 Apples Up On Top, by Dr. Seuss and Norah loves counting all of the apples on every page...which makes it a pretty lengthy book in the end. She counts so much that Lucy wanted to jump on the bandwagon and start counting things too!

She's really been into crafts lately. Ryan's mom bought us this big craft bucket from Costco over the summer, and so I'll just get it down from the shelf and let them have at it while Jane naps. There are some packets of sequins and beads that Norah likes to dump out onto paper and make things for other people.


If I do something, or don't do something, that upsets Norah, she'll burst into tears and tell me all about how I hurt her feelings. It's so tender when she runs in the room after having a dispute with Lucy and I assume that Lucy has physically hurt her, until she tells me that Lucy has hurt her feelings! :(

Norah still naps every day and still won't sleep without her polka dot blanket. She sucks her thumb when she is trying to fall asleep, but then takes it out once she's asleep. I meant to ask the pediatrician about it at her four year checkup last month, but it slipped my mind. It isn't affecting her teeth at all so I'm not too worried about it. 


We usually strip all the girls down to their underwear and diaper for meal times, because laundry (ugh). And so after we are finished eating. Norah will stick out her belly and say. "Look! I have a fat tummy!" and then laugh. I don't know if I should respond in a certain way, so I'll try to just say something along the lines of, "Yes! You ate lots and now your tummy is all full!" 


Norah loves going to church and I'm SO glad she has had fun primary teachers all along, because I was honestly worried that she would be bored in primary. She's in CTR 5 now! Her teachers bring treats every week, and a lot of times, Norah will save some to give to me or her sisters. It's so sweet. 
The other week, she told us that her teachers weren't at church, so I asked who taught her class. She said, "Just some old people. They didn't bring treats." haha so I guess we know how to win her over. ;)

I'm so glad Norah was the first to join our family, and I love watching her grow!...though I wouldn't mind her slowing down just a bit! 

2 comments:

  1. She's sure grown up! <3 Sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you respond to stuff she says like her tummy being full. When I was pregnant this last time Paxton kept asking me questions that I just didn't know how much to say. Ya know? Kids.

    ReplyDelete