Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Sunday Funday

I love Sundays when we sit next to other families with kids who will play with mine. One week, however, we were sitting in the back (okay, we always sit in the back) with just a few other couples. Just a few minutes into the meeting, Lucy was already trying to run all over creation. She loves to squeeze between the folding chairs and get away using the aisle behind us. But as she was being so sneaky, a lady started making conversation with her and lured her into the seat next to her. Lucy sat there for a good while and spent most of the time going back and forth from us to her. The lady pulled out a notebook and pens to color with, so naturally Norah had to join. The meeting was about to close and I thought we would make it through without any disasters when Ryan whispered that Lucy had peed through her dress. Fortunately, we had a spare in the diaper bag and so we considered it a minor mishap. 


I had to stay home with Norah and Jane one week so Ryan took Lucy to church with his brother's family who was in town. He sent me this picture and said, "Lucy singing with Maisey all on her own. Didn't have the heart to tell her it was the Spanish hymn book." I seriously laughed out loud. She looks so into the music. 


Another Sunday, Lucy walked around talking to the people sitting around us. She kept putting her fingers to her lips to shush and telling the young girl next to us that we needed to be quiet. She squeezed through the gap in the chairs to sneak in the row behind us and sat with a nice lady (the best entertainers for toddlers). Lucy talked and played with her scriptures and note cards, then kept trying on her glasses and touching her dangly earrings. Then when the meeting was about to close, she gave the lady a hug goodbye and then she and Norah got into a hugging and squealing match. Who could hug the hardest and squeal the loudest? It was a tie. 
Then Norah licked me for the full duration of the closing prayer, and despite my efforts to stop her, my entire hand and arm was covered in her saliva. Not pictured.

One week as we were unloading from the car and about to head into the chapel, Ryan and I debated whether we should bring the car seat in or not. We decided to just bring it in so Jane didn't have to sit on the ground if we needed her to. I'm so glad we brought it in because it proved to be a great source of entertainment. Lucy sat in there for at least 15 minutes just sucking her thumb while I rocked her with my foot. She would occasionally pop her head out to see what was going on, but I would immediately convince her to lay back down and pretend to take a nap. Norah wanted a turn too so we gladly let them climb in and out as long as they pleased. 


Jane and Ryan weren't feeling up to snuff one Sunday, so it was my turn to take Norah and Lucy to church by myself. I had frantically packed the diaper bag in order to get to the meeting on time, but had failed to grab a snack or two. I was probably out of my seat more than in it, and when I felt I was reaching my wit's end, Norah pulled out a little package of fruit snacks that was hidden in the depths of the diaper bag. That right there was a tender mercy and though it only bought me about 45 seconds of peace, it was enough to recompose my frazzled self and make it to the end of sacrament meeting. 

This crazy stage of life makes me really appreciate the chance to go to Sunday school and Relief society, so I guess I better soak in all the spirituality before they call me into nursery;))


No comments:

Post a Comment