Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Days With Toddlers

It can be disappointing when kids don't embrace new things. A new food, a new person, a new activity. I was feeling particularly frustrated about that after lathering bodies with sunscreen, squeezing those bodies into bathing suits, and laying out everything we could possibly need for an afternoon in the sprinklers only to have the water do nothing more than get the grass wet. 


I kept trying to coax Norah into running and getting wet, but she just gave me her toad face. Aka this:


I felt upset that I went to so much work and she wouldn't even put a toe in. And then I realized that I was being a big fat hypocrite because, although I like trying new things, I am no fan of change whatsoever (which is funny considering all the change we've been through the last few years). So I gave her the benefit of the doubt and let her steer clear of the sprinkler lest it turn her world upside down.


So instead she helped inhale the entire plate of watermelon slices in less than 5 minutes time.


As for Lucy,  I don't know why I even bothered putting her in a bathing suit, I was pretty positive she wouldn't go in the water, so it was unnecessary work. But I guess I was just making trouble for myself when I decided to dress her sans diaper. "Too much work" I said. I figured she'd already pooped that day and it wouldn't matter if she peed because the sprinkler (high hopes) would just wash it off, right? It was a rookie mistake.


After eating her fill--actually, who am I kidding, she is a bottomless pit and would have kept eating if there had been more watermelon--she roamed around looking for something to do because I said I was relaxing on the chair with Jane so if she wanted to swing she had to go on her belly instead of being pushed #meanmom. 

\

Little did I know she had hid behind the playhouse to conjure up a nice big present for me, for just a few minutes later, she walked over bow-legged style with a big fresh poop in her hand...how lovely. I hoped that a dog had sneaked in our backyard, but sure enough, it was her very own creation. 


 I guess I should just be glad it was while we were at home, but then again, I wouldn't have let her be so casual anywhere public. A thorough washing and she was as good as new, though I am still recovering. 

Yes, these girls always surprise me with exciting moments and I just have to write them down because some day I think they will be funny. Plus blackmail.





No comments:

Post a Comment