Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Redefining Normal

Monday marked 3 weeks since Jane joined our family, and it's been 3 weeks filled with tears, tantrums, tummy troubles, and sleepless nights. If it hadn't been for Ryan's sister and mom (who both stayed with us for a few days), as well as the generosity of friends and neighbors, then our diets would have exclusively consisted of frozen pizzas. 

I thought that this transition could not possibly be harder than the transition from 1 to 2 kids, but I guess Jane is up for the challenge, because she has been proving me wrong. I find myself overwhelmed with tasks that used to seem so easy, and instead of rising up, I pout in a corner and wish more than anything that I could run away. But then I think of others who have hardship after hardship thrown at them, and they not only survive, but are grateful. Which makes me feel like I'm going to hell for being such a ninny. 

But in all reality, I am grateful. Ryan has been my rock during these three incredibly hard weeks.
Norah and Lucy have their own ways of dealing with the adjustment, but thankfully they both adore baby Jane. Norah often asks if she can "hold that little baby". And Lucy will gladly and promptly plop down wherever she is if you ask if she wants to hold the baby. They both often lather her with kisses and pats. 

  
I get to smell Jane's newborn skin, and kiss her newborn lips and cheeks over and over again. I could soak in that smell all day, and I do!

I had so many ideas that I wanted to try for newborn pictures, but when it came down to it, I was simply too exhausted, and it suddenly didn't seem all that imperative to have fancy props and poses. 
Luckily, I still think they turned out really sweet.


She looks a lot like Lucy to me in this picture




This headband was given to me by a friend after Norah was born and I used it in her newborn pictures, so now I have a picture of all three girls wearing it. 

Jane

Norah

Lucy

I really do love these three girls, I'm so glad I have Ryan to help me, and I'm so glad we have Christmas just around the corner to keep our spirits up.


3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are absolutely precious. I've been thinking of you - every time you post a picture of Instagram out of the house. Goodness gracious girl, I don't know how you do it. I can barely go anywhere with two. I had alot of those thoughts with Eli - that I should enjoy it more and I was a bad person for hating how hard my life felt. It was definitely postpartum depression for me. Your girls are all dressed and clean and fed and I so admire that you are keeping up with that! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never guess that you are having a hard time! These pictures are so pretty of Jane and Norah & Lucy! You amaze me with your focus and dedication to keeping up with your family history! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Trevor just reminded me to tell you, THESE ARE THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE. So enjoy them. At least that's what EVERYONE keeps telling us. Hahahah. :)

    ReplyDelete