Friday, November 27, 2015

Jane's Birth

This whole birthing adventure really started long before delivery time Monday morning. It was a few weeks ago that my hips felt like they had unhinged from the rest of my body and were just dangling, held on by a string of skin. I was really feeling like the baby would make her arrival anytime, especially since I had already had contractions consistent enough to land us in the hospital just before Halloween. Since Norah and Lucy both came early (2 weeks and 10 days respectively) I had no doubt in my mind that this baby would be just as considerate and maybe even come earlier for the sake of my hips. But as my due date got closer and closer, my mood slipped further and further into a constant depression. I'm sure everyone around me was just plain sick and tired of my talking about the baby coming, especially Ryan, poor fellow. So I decided to go unleash my emotions on my unsuspecting hair stylist. Her tip totally depended on her sympathy levels, and she earned it. 
Skip forward to Saturday evening (21st) when my mom, sisters and I went to a movie to celebrate one of sister's visiting from out of town. About halfway through Mockingjay, contractions were coming close together. There were probably still 20 minutes left in the movie when the contractions were 1 minute apart and each lasting just as long. Because of my history with Lucy's birth, I decided it was probably safer to head home. Ryan and I got to the hospital around midnight, but unfortunately it was almost an exact repeat of the last time we went to the hospital, and leaving me more depressed and exhausted than ever. 

At the hospital for the second time. Feeling exhausted at 2:00am
Sunday was a long, tiring day and the contractions turned back on, only this time they were cranked up on the pain scale. I had an induction scheduled for 6:30am the next morning, so I left my parents' house to go home a little early to shower and get in bed. I went to sleep around 11, but between contractions and a stuffy nose, my sleep was pretty restless. I woke up around 1:30am because the contractions were too painful to sleep through, but I was so tired still that I didn't want to get up. Ryan could tell I was pretty uncomfortable so finally around 2:00am we decided to go to the hospital after all and, worst case scenario, they would just keep me there until my induction at 6:30 if I didn't progress on my own. 
Arriving at the hospital around 2:20am, I was in a lot of pain during each contraction and they were getting closer. They immediately checked my progress in triage and after seeing I was at 5cm, they had me go right over to the delivery room where they called in for an epidural and got me started on an antibiotic for group b strep as soon as possible. At this point, I knew in the back of my mind that this baby was going to come fast, but I wanted that epidural more than anything so I just tried to brush it off. The counter pressure the nurse and Ryan were applying during contractions were only mildly helpful and my body was seriously shaking uncontrollably. I was nervous the epidural wouldn't go well because of the extreme shaking, but the anesthetist was really nice and made me feel calm about the epidural process (one of the worst parts in my experience). He got everything strapped in place and so I laid back down, only to have my water break and realize the baby was on her way out. 
The anesthetist realized that it was too late for the epidural pump, so he just gave me a dose in a syringe and took off the pump. The doctor came in and said they were ready after I panicked about feeling the urge to push. He was really nice and calm and helped me breathe when I felt like the pushing was too painful. It lasted no more than five minutes, but you can bet there were some serious whale face moments going on.
At 3:09am our third baby girl began to wail, something I don't remember hearing right away at the other two deliveries, and the pain was finally starting to subside. 

There was such an instantaneous feeling of love for both baby Jane and Ryan. Giving birth is an incredible experience and I'm so glad Ryan was there by my side.

6 lbs. 4 oz. 19inches long. 
Jane Elise Grimmett, we love you so much!

We both thought  she looked so much like Lucy when we first saw her. When I look through baby pictures of Norah, I can see that Jane is a pretty good mix. In other words, she's darling. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment