Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Let Them Eat Cake!

It wasn't until after I became a stay at home mom that I really took an interest in making decorative cakes. I think every stay at home mom would agree that it's important to find a hobby of some sort to break up the lonely times between diaper changes and barney episodes. I chose cakes! 

Today was my nephew's birthday and apparently he is really into power rangers, so I looked up some ideas and decided to try fondant for the first time. If Walmart hadn't been so stingy with their fondant portions, it would have gone a lot more smoothly. I had to take part of the white and dye it red, leaving our counter top and my fingers tinged pink for who knows how long. 


So, as you can see, the sides of the cake weren't too pretty, but he's five, so I'm guessing he didn't even notice. I'm just glad he recognized that it was supposed to be a power ranger mask and not some Chinese symbol! 


Don't mind me as I show off some of the other cakes I've done over the past couple of years. It's so fun to do, and I love having an excuse to make a cake, especially for little kids' parties! 

My very first cake I made for St. Patty's day a couple of years ago. Link HERE.


I made this for my other nephew when he went through a Star Wars phase and particularly liked Darth Maul. Link HERE.


This one was really simple, but it was so fun to create. 


I was too scared to try fondant at this point, so I just used frosting for the details on this Curious George face. Which is probably good because who even likes fondant?


Norah had a pink themed birthday party last year so I made this castle cake. Link HERE.


I loved this Easter lamb cake even though it was covered in marshmallows. 


And for Lucy's milk and cookies themed party, I made this cookie layer cake that ended up being really good, but super rich. We had a ton of leftovers that ended up getting thrown away. sad. Link HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment