Wednesday, November 26, 2014

And a Pinch to Grow an Inch!

Two years ago today I stood outside our bedroom door in Rexburg feeling sick with a stomach ache after kissing Ryan goodbye as he headed off to school. I had a full day of classes ahead of me and still two weeks before my expected due date. Despite feeling sick, I walked to campus for my PE Methods class. 

That morning we did relay races and I was seriously struggling to waddle from one end of the gym to the other with my teammates cheering for me to go faster. After the painfully long 1.5 hours were up, I called my mom to tell her that I thought I was cramping up. And then she lowered the bomb and said that it sounded like I was in the early stages of labor. 
"What?? I can't be! I'm not due for two more weeks, and I have finals coming up!!" 


So I started timing my contractions during my next class and they were 10-15 minutes apart. There were so many emotions coursing through my very swollen body that I didn't know what to think. So I headed back to our apartment where I found Ryan on his computer, surprised to see me home so early. I told him I thought I was in labor and that I was going to lay on the bed for a little bit to see if I could slow down the contractions. I heard him heat up some leftover pasta in the microwave and listened to it beep several times, never making back out to be eaten. 


We made an appointment with the doctor and sure enough, he said I would probably have this baby tonight. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So we went home, I showered and put on makeup (No, I didn't plan on delivering without looking decent!), and timed the contractions, which were getting progressively closer. 


We headed to the hospital not long after that and waited for the doctor to come and break my water. When he finally did, it wasn't long until I demanded an epidural and Norah made her grand entrance.



When they brought her to me, after cleaning her a bit, I remember thinking how she had such beautiful red lips. And I couldn't believe she was mine. We brought her home to our little apartment (with pasta still left in the microwave) and started our little family.



Now my sweet girl is two! I love watching her, especially around other kids because she loves the interaction. When she is put in the spotlight she will act shy, but read her a book or give her some sweets and soon you will be fast friends. One of her new favorite activities is to color. She will scribble furiously for a few seconds and then show me how hard she worked.


Norah still loves getting a bottle of milk and begs for one almost every morning. And we usually give it to her, despite our intentions to wean her off. How can we resist such brown eyes?
She has a new dance move which we have named "the limp leg". She will limp around in circles on one foot while the other one constantly pops up. It's the funniest thing.


Norah's favorite songs are currently:
The lollipop song, twinkle twinkle little star, rockabye-baby, and follow the prophet.
We started a little goodnight routine where she and I will snuggle on top of Gus (her big stuffed dog) and I will sing either twinkle little star, or rockabye baby. I love getting one-on-one cuddles with her.

We have also taught norah how to say "hello" in Japanese (No, I won't try to spell it and I'm too lazy to look it up. ha!) while bowing at the same time. Koneecheewa!!


One day Norah was getting mad at Ryan for something he was doing and so she kept crying. I told her that if she didn't want him to do it then she should say, "stop please". Well, now she thinks she can say that for everything. 

I try to tickle her. stop please.
I start singing or dancing and it embarrasses her. stop please.
I try putting her down for a nap. stop please.
I try changing her diaper. stop please. 
I look at her too long. stop please.

Unfortunately it doesn't work as well the other way around.


She has also recently discovered that she doesn't like me taking pictures of her, which is a huge bummer. This is her, being mad that I am trying to take pictures.


I love this sweet girl who calls me Mamma. She has made our lives 100% better. 
Happy birthday to our little lady:))





4 comments:

  1. This whole post was seriously precious. I love the pictures! She has the sweetest little face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything Jenna said. Seriously, what a beauty! And I love the idea for pictures!!! You're so cute!!! Happy birthday to sweet Norah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Hannah!! You have the cutest family and the cutest blog!!!

    ReplyDelete