Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lucy's Birth

Because of a couple false alarms I had already had the previous two weeks, I tried not to get too excited when I woke up with contractions at 4:30am Friday morning. I wanted to get up and walk around so I would keep progressing but worried that if the contractions stopped I would end up just being tired the rest of the day for nothing. But I was particularly hungry at the time so I got up to eat something, hoping this would be the day. 
My contractions were about 10-12 minutes apart and started getting closer so I decided to let Ryan know at 5:00. For the next hour we lazily put our things together and the contractions kept coming, still pretty mild at this point. By 6:00 we woke Norah and got her ready to go to grandma and grandpa brand's house. 
We got there by 6:30, chatted with my mom for a bit, took a couple of pictures and kissed Norah goodbye.

 It was just before 7:00 when we arrived at the hospital and were taken to a room. They checked my progress (4cm) and then waited for me to progress before admitting me. While in the waiting laboring room my contractions started to get more and more painful. Finally at 7:45 they admitted me to a delivery room and called an order for an epidural (such beautiful words to a laboring lady). The anesthesiologist arrived at 8:00am and started his work. Unfortunately, he was taking forever and wasn't able to get the tubes placed in my spine without them collapsing on him.

This whole time I was sitting up on the side of the bed leaning against Ryan and crying from the extremely painful contractions. Suddenly during one contraction, I felt my body pushing and I tried to stop it, not really realizing what was happening. The next contraction I kept saying over and over again "she's coming out." The nurse, who was basically superwoman, flipped me on my side and said with a few more pushes the baby would be out. They took out the epidural, which they never got to work, and I proceeded to give birth without any medication and without a doctor present.

After just a few pushes our baby girl was placed on my chest at 8:20am. She was so small and so perfect. 
We had planned to have a photographer come and take pictures of the delivery, but it all happened so fast she wasn't able to make it on time, so instead she and another photographer took some after birth photos and I love them. Here are just a few she captured:





Lucy Florabelle (named after my grandma) has been such a sweetheart and we are so happy to have her in our family.

4 comments:

  1. Yay!!! So jealous that it went so fast! I'm sorry it was unmedicated, but way to go!!! :) She is SO precious! And love the name Lucy! I almost named Phoebe that, but then we thought of Phoebe (obviously). :) I hope to meet her someday! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I really think I might do the next one without meds. TJ would definitely have been a fast delivery without an epidural, so I'm hoping the next one is fast too. How bad was it?

    She is so sweet! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say that I was praying like crazy during every contraction. haha! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. So happy Lucy is here and perfect! Sounds like my Royce's birth. Fast and furious! Can't wait to see you all again :)

    ReplyDelete