Monday, May 12, 2014

Thoughts on Mothering

Although Mother's Day was yesterday, I didn't get a chance to write my thoughts on mothers and so I wanted to do so today. You may be thinking that I'm just trying to drag out being pampered like a queen for as long as possible..and though that may be partly true, I wanted to share what I've learned the past year and a half that I've been a mother.


As long as I can remember I wanted to be a mom. I was always known as "The Baby Hog" in my family and often longed for the day when I could have my own children. But when I found out I was pregnant with Norah I was terrified, and even more so when heading home from the hospital with her crying in the back seat.

But being a mother has been the most beautiful experience I could ever have imagined. It is a great feeling to be the one to kiss away the tears, cheer on those first few steps, and yes, even be the one to change massively poopy diapers.

Those experiences are so short in the longterm perspective and I sometimes lose sight of that when it is early in the morning and Norah insists on reading "Mr. Brown Can Moo" for the seventeenth time in a row.


There have been too many times I put her to bed for the night and regret how much time I spent looking at my phone, washing dishes, or letting her to play by herself while I lay on the couch to rest. It's such a short time that she will be at this impressionable age where she will want to play with me and want me to read to her and want me to hold her when she's hurt.

So here's to one more round of "Mr. Brown Can Moo" and less time on my phone and cleaning the house--though I may cringe when unexpected company shows up during laundry day.

I am so blessed to call Norah my sweet girl and so blessed I get to share this experience of parenthood with my loving and supportive husband, Ryan. Happy belated Mother's Day to all you mommies!

1 comment:

  1. You are SO right! And Im so happy my young niece realizes this. Time flies and soon they will want to sit on some good looking young mans lap instead of yours. Brings tears to my eyes how fast it goes. Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete